Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fox News and Katherine Harris

I was watching Fox news last night at around 1am because I do that, and the Florida Secratary of State during the 2000 election was on there absolutely PISSED on how she was portrayed in the HBO movie "Recount," about the recount in FL. Katherine Harris is her name. She was opening up a can on HBO, and Fox was backing her every word. It was hilarious. This got me thinking a lot about how real people are portrayed in movies, and how much it would suck to be portrayed negatively. Movies have an absolutely enormous audience, so there was no chance that there wasn't going to be a reaction from Harris, which could potentially turn into legal action. I think she has every right to be mad, even if she is as crazy as she was portrayed. Back in 2005, I remember the family of professional boxer Max Bear having a similar reaction to how their father was portrayed in the movie Cinderella Man. That movie is flat out awesome, no doubt, but it sucks so much to think that a man who was potentially a very nice person will be remembered by many as a murdering, womanizing, idiot. Basically, when a movie is dealing with a real human being, they should have to screen it in front of that person's family or the person themselves before releasing it, because it's just too awful to think that a movie like Recount is out there messing with someone's life.

No comments: