Friday, June 13, 2008

The Happening is Awful

I am, without a doubt, the larget M. Night Shyamalan fan on this planet. I have been an extreme fan of his since the beggining of his film career, and I have continuously called him my favorite living director, but I think that has just changed for good. I just came from seeing his latest movie, "The Happening," and it is a bad movie, pure and simple. There is not one aspect of this film that was well done. The direction was a complete failure aside from a few sweet shots. The cinematography was bland. There was no intensity at all. The acting was horrid and the relationships were forced, rushed, and flat out stupid. The dialouge was embarrasing. I am so, so dissapointed. After his last movie failure, which I thought was an OK movie, many people saw him falling into oblivion, but I felt that this movie would be his turning point. Wrong. Horrible movie. I feel sorry for M. Night Shymalan but it truly seems that he has fallen victim to whatever it is that turns good directors into bad ones. Quentin Tarantino stated in an interview that directors begin downward spirals after making a personal movie that they thought was going to be unbelievable, and fails miserably. This movie was undoubtedly The Village, which I personally love to death becuase it's absolutely beautiful, but it failed miserably and most audiences and critics hated it. Before that movie, he was on a hot streak of making fantastic movies, three of my favorites ever. I feel so bad for him. I'll just hope that someday he gets it right again, and until then, embrace the fact that there was many better living directors. The Happening is awful, don't go.

4 comments:

Dr. Bjorn Ingvoldstad said...

I don't think I've seen any of his films. If you had to make a short list (like ONE), what would you put on it? I have a Netflix queue, and I know how to use it.

Alex Boss said...

Bjorn, M. Night shot to stardom when he made The Sixth Sense, which is one of my three favorite movies ever, and you must have seen it. If you have not, it should be the very next thing on your list. My God is it unbelievable. His next two movies, Unbreakable and Signs, are also very worthy watches. If you are going to watch any, make it The Sixth Sense, and see those other two after.

Cait said...

I think M. Night a lot I find his movies to be very creative.. always keeping you thinking..like the movie "Lady in the Water". I haven't seen his new movie "The Happening" but from what you have said it sounds like it isn't worth seeing. If I do end up seeing it I will wait until I can rent it. Thats a shame he usually does good work!

Kristin Nelson said...

Alex I completely agree with you, the movie was horrible. I went to see it at the premier in Boston, with Mark Walhberg in attendance, and everyone was complaining about how horrible it was. Sort of embarrassing for him.